(Recipe serves 4)
For the meatballs:
- 1 tbsp olive oil to cook
- 500g 5% fat beef mince
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 medium egg
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 tsps cornflour
- 250ml GF beef stock
- 80g light cream cheese – I use Philadelphia lighter cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 40g reduced fat cheddar
- Grab a large mixing bowl and add all the meatball ingredients apart from the olive oil. Scrunch and mix the ingredients to combine well.
- Set a frying pan over a medium-high heat to get a good colour on the meatballs. Heat the tablespoon of olive oil then roll your meatball mixture into equal-sized balls and carefully add to the pan – I could make 12 meatballs.
- Fry the meatballs, turning occasionally, to brown all over then turn the heat down to continue cooking while you make the sauce.
- In a saucepan, fry the onion and garlic in olive oil on a medium heat for 10 minutes until onions are softened. Add the chestnut mushrooms and fry for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Pour in the beef stock and stir well. While this comes to a simmer, mix the 2 tsps cornflour with 2-3 tsps water. Add the cornflour mix and simmer for a minute or so before turning the heat down and adding the cream cheese bit by bit. Also stir in your Dijon mustard.
- Carefully remove the meatballs from the other frying pan and add to the sauce. Let this simmer for 5 minutes, occasionally coating the meatballs with sauce.
- Finish off by sprinkle over the grated cheese, then serve with veg, pasta, mash or rice!
|Calories per serving (without pasta/sides)||Protein||Carbs||Fat|