(Recipe serves 2)
- 80g cashews
- 50ml Alpro single soya (or another dairy-free cream)
- Olive oil
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- Salt and pepper
- 100g spinach
- 150g wholewheat pasta
- You can also add other veggies, tofu, vegan protein substitutes, etc!
- Soak the cashews in 80ml cold water for at least an hour before.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 205C/400F/Gas mark 6.
- Peel the loose white skin off the garlic bulb then chop off the very top. Drizzle over some olive oil and black pepper then wrap in foil and roast in the oven for 40 mins or until soft. Put aside to cool.
- Now, start cooking your pasta according to the packet instructions – I wanted to use wholewheat pasta so penne was my first choice – I would also recommend conchiglie for this sauce!
- Rinse and drain the cashews and place in a food processor with the single soya, salt, pepper and roasted garlic – just squeeze this out of the skins once cooled.
- Blitz until smooth, adding water bit by bit till the sauce is smooth and the right consistency for you! I added nearly a mugful of water. I also needed to blitz my sauce for about 10 minutes until it was smooth enough so be patient!
- Blitz in the thyme leaves then taste for any extra seasoning.
- Drain your pasta when cooked then set aside. Use the same saucepan to heat up the sauce on a medium heat.
- Wilt your spinach slightly by pouring boiling water over it then add to your sauce. Now keep stirring the sauce until it’s heated up and the spinach is wilted.
- Mix in your pasta then serve hot with some grated vegan cheese if you’d like!
|Calories per serving||Protein||Carbs||Fat|